Friday 3 May 2013

Zoo lab

We've had a fantastic time finding out about habitats with Zoo Lab today! We managed to get the chance to see and feel animals from lots of different environments.

We started with the rainforest and looked at a millipede. Can you remember how many legs it had?

 
We also saw a trantula. She had to stay in her box because she can shoot out nasty hairs if she is scared. We found out that she was nocturnal so was having a great time sleeping!
 
 
We also saw a tree frog - he was very camouflaged but loved climbing the sides of the box with his suckers.
 
 
We then looked at animals that live in the desert. We looked at the snake and found out about how he shed his skin.
 
 
 
Finally, we had the chance to stroke a rat. We found out that he lives in most habitats around the world. Can you remember which mammal and which insect can survive in most other habitats too?
 
 
We had a fantastic afternoon and the children asked lots of super questions. What did you find out?

5 comments:

  1. I knew if I searched wide enough the school blog would give me the answer. My yr r daughter was telling me about the spiders hair but I couldn't quite understand what she was telling me. Now I know tarantulas have nasty hairs if they are scared! Thanks yr 6. Lucy's (s) mum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Millipede had 276 legs. But I am not sure. Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - great memory, Amy! I think you might be right!

      Delete
  3. I seem to remember (from when I was at school) that no known millipede has 1,000 legs - although that would make sense. I once heard that millipedes have an ODD number of legs although I can't believe that's true. I do know that common species of millipedes (like the type we have in England) have between a few dozen and a few hundred legs, depending on how long they are. Good work, Year 6.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW i forgot about zoolab, it was so fun handiling all the creepy crawlies! I wish we could do it again
    Emma S

    ReplyDelete

To help ensure anonymity for all our children please don't use surnames when posting comments. Use first names or names such as 'Susie's mum' when commenting. Please make sure all comments are polite and kind.